Sunday, November 28, 2010

Learning to love our neighbor.

I get the amazing privilige of speaking to an amazing group of people today that are growing together as a family faith. This family of faith is called " Covenant Grace", and it is a new church plant in the French Valley area of Southern Cal.

     We started meeting two weeks ago in a precious sisters' home, and we have grown to the point where we are now looking for a new place to meet. I am trusting that God will provide a place for us soon. I would ask you guys to pray with us in this venture.

     As exciting as growth can be, I am asking God not to let us become just a crowd of people getting together for an event. I have seen many people, and I myself have been guilty of just coming to church to do my thing because it is what I have always done. I have had a tendency to come to church without preparing my heart to come and worship through singing and submitting myself to the Word of God. I have had a tendency to come to church, and to want to leave quickly because I have more important things to do instead of encouraging my family of faith towards God in Christ.

     It is easy for me to come to church and to listen to amazing talented musicians lead us in worship, and to be exhorted through the Word. But is this really the gathering of the church? I mean, if this is all church really is,  I really could do this at home by listening to Hillsong worship and John Piper, D.A. Carson, or CJ Mahaney on my Ipod or PC.

     I think that there is more to this gathering of the church than what you and I may be used to. I think that this gathering of what we know as church was meant to show the world something else...not just the talents of a few people. I see something powerful happening when a group of people gather together in the name of Jesus Christ, our God and Saviour...something so powerful, it points to the reality of God ( John 17 ).

     This afternoon, as Covenant Grace gathers, I want to share God's heart for us as the church. I think that we will be stoked to see what it is that God has intended for his church to live into. I am looking forward not just to serving you through the Word, but I look forward to seeing each and every one of your faces, and I seek to be encouraged by the gifts that God has given you.

     I look forward to worshipping with you this afternoon. See you at four!

Love you guys and gals,

Sabo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good! I'm excited for you guys. Our valley needs a church like that.